Mineral Pigments and What You Can Do

9 June 2016
Mineral make up is still something that seems to be frowned upon in modern beauty. Minerals are often overlooked amongst fun new beauty trends like cream contouring, highlighting and cut crease eye shadow. Minerals can seem too safe, too normal, too boring... but it doesn't have to be! If you're anything like me and have your eyes popping out your head when reading the ingredient lists on some major make up brands, I'm happy to say that us natural beauty lovers can have some fun too!


Anyone who's had a nosey into mineral make up has probably came across mineral pigments, usually labelled as "loose mineral eye shadow". I've had a stash of mineral pigments sitting around for a long time and, although I love eye shadow, they've been gathering dust. The truth is, my eye shading skills suck (I'm working on it). So recently I've been experimenting with them to see exactly what else they can do. I've not been disappointed and, more importantly, neither has my skin. So what do you need to get started? Some mineral pigments/eye shadows (as seen above), water, and some brushes. These are from an old BareMinerals set I received as a gift. BareMinerals aren't my favourite mineral brand, but I'd recommend shadows from Honeypie Minerals, BareFaced Beauty and Lily Lolo (or try Everyday Minerals or Meow Cosmetics if you're from across the pond).


Good make up is wasted on bad brushes. I absolutely adore EcoTools (Honeypie minerals sell them here for the UK), but I've heard good things about Real Techniques and Lily Lolo's brushes. All are cruelty free. From left to right:  Lovely Looks Lip Brush, Detailed Lip/Liner Brush, Angled Eyeliner Brush, Lovely Looks Flat Eyeliner Brush.

Brows are definitely in, and it doesn't look like they're going anywhere soon. I really struggle doing my eyebrows, but I never though mineral pigment would be the answer! 


I use the Angled Eyeliner brush and a mid brown pigment mixed with water. I simply mix them both in the lid with my brush. This brush is the perfect shape for brows and they take moments to fill in. I usually pair this with the brown eye pencil from Lily Lolo for the whole "light to dark" look.  


The "Matte Lip" is another current trend that's hard to miss. It's definitely a "love or hate" look. I absolutely love it. I used two different pigments here - "mauve" and "velvet wildflower". I adore the shade "velvet wildflower" and it's my favourite pigment I currently own. I used this darker shade to line my lips, and the lighter "mauve" to fill in.


Here is the finished look, in some miraculously good lighting may I add. It was one of those days in the house where your make up turns out better than ever and you feel like going out just to flaunt it. I ended up in bed watching Game of Thrones most probably. The great thing about this is that you can turn the lips metallic with a little dusting of highlighter. Or if you just want your eye shadow and lips to match, simply mix the pigment with some clear gloss. I also done my eyeliner with minerals here, and will go into it further below.


I love a good cat eye. When you pair my pale skin with my purple under eye bags in the morning I can look eternally tired, and a sharp wing can really waken up my face. Liquid and gel eyeliner can sometimes sting, feel heavy on the eyelids and smudge throughout the day and I can never get a pencil eyeliner to look bold or sharp. I'd noticed some other bloggers using dark mineral pigments to line their eyes, so thought I'd give it a try. I was impressed. 


I used the shade "charcoal grey" (the closest to black I own) and mixed it with some water. I used the Lovely Looks Flat Eyeliner brush to line my lid, and the Detailed Lip/Liner brush for the flick. I find it helpful holding the straight edge of a tissue/piece of paper under my eye to get a precise flick. I've seen people do this with tape, but tape can pull on the delicate skin around the under eye area so be careful. I've also tried some mineral liner on my mother, who also liked it.


I'd like to try this with a black mineral powder as I really think it will replace my usual liquid pen eyeliner. It felt weightless and didn't irritate my eyes at all, and it still remained on me at the end of the day (after fighting back some tears in the cinema with my friend watching "Me Before You"). It's a winner for me. 
Post Comment
Post a Comment