Help For the Switch to Natural Beauty - Moisturisers

4 June 2016
So we've been getting some work done at the house this week and I haven't had WiFi access for my laptop, so my blog has been quiet... but I'm back! Continuing with my "Help for the Switch" series, I will be looking at moisturisers today.

Personally, I think moisturiser (along with make-up) is what affects your skin the most. As we tend to moisturise day and night the stuff spends a lot of time on your skin.When using the right stuff to moisturise it can really help, but when using bad stuff it can really damage your skin. Do you know what's in your moisturiser? That's a question I only started asking myself last year. Take a look at your moisturisers ingredient list and search them up on Skin Deep, have a look at exactly what is going on your skin every day.

Now there are hundreds of moisturisers out there. I used to feel lost in stores like Boots and Superdrug when searching for new moisturisers -because whatever brand I'd used before was never working.

Before I started using more natural moisturisers my skin would feel tight after washing. I'd moisturise right after washing my face to prevent this, thinking the product was working. Honestly, it wasn't. Now that I use better products, my skin is soft and silky before applying anything. That's how I know my stuff is working.

So where do you find the best moisturiser? Well there are a ton of great cruelty free and natural brands out there. It can be overwhelming at first, especially when you're just trying to find them. So I'm going to list some of the best moisturisers I've came across and what I think they are best for:



Arran Aromatics Feel Good Formulas Jojoba & Vitamin E All Weather Moisturiser

What a mouthful! While this moisturiser does not have the purest ingredient list, I have researched the stuff on Skin Deep and everything had a "low hazard" rating. I love wearing this under make up as it is light, primes the skin and still moisturises. And any followers of this blog will know how much I love Jojoba Oil. I've wrote more about this product here.



The Caurnie Soaperie Nettle Moisturiser 

This is my holy grail when it comes to eczema. I have had this clear up small eczema breakouts in less than a day. I'd never go back to the steroid creams from the doctor, which just thinned my skin anyway. Even for those who don't suffer from eczema it is a wonderful moisturiser. I'd say it's best for the body and moisturising dry patches. I personally didn't use it on my face a lot as it is heavy, although I do use it overnight sometimes when my skin is feeling dry.


Pai Skincare Geranium & Thistle Rebalancing Day Cream

I was first introduced to this whilst reading Kate's review on it on wildorganicbeauty* (one of my favourite blogs by the way, check it out!). She wrote a great post on it that will describe it better than I can. It's great for sensitive skin and it is another moisturiser that primes the skin perfectly for make up.



Lush Magical Moringa

I've loved every Lush moisturiser I've tried. Vanishing Cream was great for a light cream in the morning to prime before make up. Skin Drink was great at tackling dryness and healing my skin. But Magical Moringa is a different story. It's more a "balm" than a "cream" and feels unlike any other moisturiser I've tried. It also makes my skin look and feel amazing. Once absorbed I find it is great under powder/mineral make up. I'm not so sure with liquids because it contains cornflour. I think this is best for no make up days or when you want something that feels luxurious on your skin.


Facial Oils

These are my absolute favourite products for moisturising. Many brands do facial oils, but I tend to mix my own because I can switch up the ingredients to suit my skin's needs throughout the year. Many people are sceptical when I recommend facial oil to them. They either believe oil to be "dirty", they think it will make their skin more oily, or they tried some brand's facial oil from the chemist that was loaded up with awful ingredients that broke them out.

When you buy or make a good oil it is amazing for skin. My skin has actually stopped being so "oily" since I started using oils. Whenever my mix runs out I can look at my skin's current needs and make a unique blend that targets everything I need at that time. I do not have perfect skin - I have years spent using nasty products from the chemist to thank for that - but it has never been as good as it is using these products. My facial oils have finally got rid of my acne, they have decreased my redness, smoothed my skins texture and made it feel "good" again. If I had to recommend one product to anyone it would be Jojoba Oil, but there are so many great oils out there I think it really is worth looking for blends that will help your skin. I've been making custom blends for friends and family and so far they have been working!

There are many other brands out there that do great moisturisers, but unfortunately I've only sampled a small few myself. My blog isn't so popular (yet) that I get free samples to try, so everything I do try has been products I've used from start to finish out my own pocket. I still think facial oils are the best, but I understand how many people are more comfortable with a cream. So good luck in finding that perfect moisturiser and I hope this post has helped those of you looking to switch.  :)

*since I've made this post my favourite blog has actually disappeared! So I've had to remove all the links as they are broken.
Post Comment
Post a Comment