Why I Don't Wear Fake Tan

10 June 2016
Firstly, this is not an attack against fake tan. I don't care if you do or don't wear fake tan. If you like it and it makes you feel confident you lather that stuff on until you're a bronzed goddess.

Scottish Skin - my hand with flowers

But seriously, there's so much hate for pale skin. Girls seem to think that if they're not lathered in fake tan that they're not beautiful. Yes it can be thrown round as a joke, but where's the self love? Make-up, fake tan, hair dye... it's all great, but you got to believe you're beautiful under all that too. I'm not saying this is some huge problem, it just feels pretty rubbish seeing girls putting others down. I'm sick of hearing girls say pale skin is ugly. It's not. No skin shade is "ugly". It's like the war between girls who do and don't wear make-up. Why care? It's personal choice. If you want to cake that face up with a bold lip and smokey eye, go for it. If a little wipe of lip balm is enough for you, rock it. Stop putting others down girls, please. Anyway, lets get to why I don't wear fake tan.

1) Health. Any time in the past I've used fake tan it has not been good for my skin. Have you looked at the ingredients in that stuff? Pretty nasty. I personally like to stick with body oils and lotions to help heal, repair and moisturise my skin. There are some friendlier tanning products out there, from brands like Lush and Green People, but they just don't tickle my fancy.

Scottish Skin - my hand with flowers

2) Time. It's been a long time since I've wore fake tan but damn that stuff takes a while to put on. Making sure every bit of your body is covered evenly, getting help with your back, messing around with those big mitts on... Then waiting for it to dry in just for it to ruin pyjamas and bed sheets alike with its runny colour. Nope, not for me. I'm already too lazy to style my hair beyond a brush through most days, so I certainly won't be starting a tanning ritual any time soon.

Scottish Skin - my hand with flowers

3) Money. Yes, there's cheap fake tan. Every one I've tried has stunk. Or stained. Or been too dark and orange. Or streaked. They just plain suck. I have tried ones that performed much better - they were fast, long lasting and had little smell. They were also £30 odd a bottle. £30? No way. I have better things to spend my money on (books, art, games...) basically anything but fake tan. There's only a few beauty products I buy at higher prices, and only when I think they're worth the money. Sadly, fake tan isn't one.

Scottish Skin - why I don't wear fake tan

4) It just doesn't suit my colouring. I have very pale skin. I also have coppery hair and brown-green eyes. I have rosy lips and blush and get freckles in the sun. Tan somehow looks... wrong on me? It doesn't work with my cool tones. I certainly don't turn in to the bronzed goddess I imagined.

Scottish Skin - why I don't wear fake tan


5) Self Acceptance. This is the most important reason. I feel fine without it. I may not love everything about how I look, but I'm beginning to be comfortable in my own skin. I like my "paleness" and think I can still look great without a tan. Whether you wear a lot of products or not, it is important to feel great in your natural state.

Scottish Skin - why I don't wear fake tan

I apologise for the awkward poses but I'd never had shots like that taken before. Yes, I got these photos especially for this post. I don't always feel great in my own body, but I'm learning. I may not have the coveted warm tan, or the long model legs (I'm only 5ft4!), or the picture perfect face, or anything the media labels as "beautiful" - but I still feel great. And I believe everyone else out there should, and can, too. Fake tan or no fake tan.
Post Comment
Post a Comment