The First Day as an Au Pair - France

2 April 2016

So at the end of March I decided to pack up my bags and fly off to France to spend 6 months as an Au Pair. I've always wanted to travel and I'm at the perfect age for doing just that.

There are things I love about home in Scotland, but it is just not where I want to live out my life. It still amazes me that, with just a quick google search and sign up to "Au Pair World", I was already on the track to finding a placement abroad. And here I am! Currently in a little hamlet outside a countryside village, cosied upstairs in my new room in the converted farmhouse. It all seems to good to be true, I'm still waiting on the catch!

The night before I left I still didn't feel like I was going. It was going to fall through, I was sure of it. I'd receive an email notifying me that I was no longer needed. I'd be questioned at airport security and find out I actually did need a visa. I'd chicken out and return home.  As excited as I was the nerves were getting to me. I was nervous, doubtful, afraid... It continued until I left my family at the airport and finally stepped onto the plane. It was a bittersweet morning.


The night before I shed some tears at the thought of leaving my family and pets behind. I'd never been away from either for more than a week and a half, and now I wouldn't see them for another 6 months. I admit that I almost backed out a few times.


The next day I arrived in Paris. I received a warm welcome at the airport from the family, who'd arrived to drive me to their village. I'd expected as much as I'd spoken to the family on Skype before - something I recommend to every future au pair. It is important to make sure you get along with the family and it avoids awkwardness when you first meet in person.




I was driven round the neighbourhood when I arrived to my new home, which consists of many rustic French villages and hamlets. I know little French at the moment, but enough to get by. I explored the place, unpacked, bonded with the cat. I was reminded of how uncontrollable toddlers are and how pets love to claim your bed as their own (we're sharing now).


French food is something I was very curious about, and so I've been helping with the meals and going along on shopping trips. Soon I will be cooking the weekday meals myself, so I wanted to get an idea of what is commonly used here and what the family enjoy. I couldn't resist snapping the above picture to send home to my mum. Just look at that fresh fish! And that's only a little. We picked up prawns, mussels and a meaty, white fish with a name I can't remember, or pronounce.


                 

Everything was lovely - especially the mussels.

So I've settled in well and can't wait to see more of France. I'd heard that the first few weeks of au pairing were awkward as you tried to fit in amongst another family. This seemed logical to me and was what I expected, but I can honestly say that (so far) it hasn't been awkward at all. Of course no where will ever be the same as home, but I have been welcomed and accepted just like a member of the family. To any future Au Pair's out there, I'd like to stress the importance of choosing the right family. Ask them questions, talk about yourself, arrange video chats. It pays off.

As for me, I have been instructed by my own family to take plenty of pictures, so I have decided to start blogging about my life as an au pair alongside my cruelty free beauty. Enjoy!
Post Comment
Post a Comment