Au Pair - My First Week Living In The French Country

10 April 2016
Or rather, my first week and a half in the French country. I'm incredibly lucky to say it's all I'd hoped for and more. Just look at those blue skies (they were dull and grey back in Scotland that day - I checked).

Most au pairs seem to try and get a placement in the city when they come to Paris. Many people online had warned against living outside the city. It would be "inconvenient", "lonely" and "boring". The city life and the country life will both have their pros and cons, but the country life here is far from a disaster.

It is very peaceful out here - perfect for alone time. Whether unwinding with a book, in a bath, or doing some yoga, I'm never interrupted. There's also a greater sense of community. People here all seem to know their neighbours, and I already have my eye on some weekly local events to check out.


Thanks to the many quiet roads and the peaceful farmland I've been running a lot more. It feels great in the morning, the sun shining in the fresh new sky amidst a sea of green. I'm not saying the city is ugly, but these are sights I'd favour over streets and buildings any day. It's also great motivation knowing that it's unlikely for anyone to catch you all red-faced and sweaty when you've just begun!


Living in the country has also forced me to look for stuff I want to do on days out, as I can't just walk out of my city apartment and visit the closest shop or café. So when I go out, I'm doing as much things as I can and visiting the best places possible. Such as local tourist spots such as Chateau de Fontainbleau...


... Famous landmarks like the Eiffel Tower...

... and cute coffee shops for French crepes.The one above was done with pear, chocolate and cream. Try as I may, I couldn't finish the beast.

So my first "week and a half" has been great. I've settled in really well and love this new country lifestyle, If anyone reading this is considering working as an au pair, I urge you to just do it! So far the experience has been amazing for me and it;s only the beginning. Just make sure you do your research and find a family you get along with. It's been a long day for me so to everyone out there - Bonne Nuit!
Post Comment
Post a Comment