Dusting and Deodorant Powders, Lush - Review

29 December 2015
I'd like to introduce my readers to a type of product I wish I'd discovered years ago - deodorant powders.

Dusting/Deodorant powders are one of those products in Lush that you would first study with a raised eyebrow. "Powder deodorant? That'll never work". I've been using both their deodorant and dusting powders and let me tell you, they are amazing products.


Pictured above is: (From left to right) Fairy  Dust Dusting Powder, The Guv'ner Deodorant Powder and Silky Underwear Dusting Powder

So what's the difference between dusting and deodorant powders? Firstly, deodorant powders seem to have been formulated for the single use of deodorant. Although I'm all for embracing creativity and finding alternative uses for products, something tells me that the strong, earthy scent and dark colour of "The Guv'ner" is best suited to a deodorant. 

Dusting powders are advertised to be used on the body; to soak up massage oil, soften skin, or give your skin a light scent and glow. I find these work just as well as a deodorant, and often have a much sweeter smell.

There are several ways to use dusting powders. They can be used on the body to soak up lotions/massage oils or sweat. They can be used as a dry shampoo, and add a lovely scent to the hair. They can be rubbed on the under arms as a "deodorant" to help soak up sweat. They don't actually prevent sweat - Lush is against this as it is a normal and healthy bodily function. Instead the powder absorbs what you do sweat, therefore keeping you dry. I'll admit that no deodorant - from store or on prescription - has ever fully worked for me. I'd wash and be sweating again by the time I walked back to my room. Cream, gel, roll on or spray deodorants never seemed to dry in and just made me worse. These powders instantly absorb my sweat, and as long as I reapply when needed during the day (depending on my activities) it works perfectly well. I have heard of people layering these on top of other deodorants, but the powder alone has been enough for myself. 

Firstly I'll look at my latest purchase, Fairy Dust. 


Fairy Dust has the sweet, candy floss scent of the limited edition Snow Fairy products, which I'm sure any Lush fans have guessed by now. It has a glitter to it that really makes the body/hair shimmer and is coloured a pale pink which disappears on skin. It was limited edition, so I was unable to link to the product. Sorry :(

                          

The Guv'ner has a strong, deep and earthy scent. I like it, but it's definitely a love-or-hate product. This is what I use if I'm doing any strenuous activities, as I believe it is the most effective. 

It is a dark, stone grey colour, but surprisingly can disappear on skin if only a pinch is used. I tend to need more than that, so I only use it when wearing long sleeves. 

                         

Silky Underwear was the first dusting powder I bought, and is my most used. Its light colour and lack of shimmer means that it disappears on skin, and it has the same jasmine scent as my "Lust" solid perfume. 

If you've ever struggled with sweat, want to try something more natural or need something to layer with your normal deodorant I'd definitely reccomend the Lush deodorant and dusting powders. There are several more scents that I haven't tried, so if none above suit you have a nosey on their website!
Post Comment
Post a Comment