DIY - Facial Oil

30 December 2015
When I started looking for healthier, more natural skin care I was intrigued by all the DIY recipes that were popping up all over the internet. It was about that time I began using olive oil to cleanse at night (which works brilliantly by the way). However, I wasn't too sure about the facial oils people were using along with - or instead of - moisturiser. 

I have combination skin, with an oily t-zone and a tendency towards hormonal spots. It's not always a pretty site, and I sometimes struggle creating a smooth base for makeup. So I started using jojoba oil in the morning and found that my skin became a lot less oily during the day. 

For those who don't know how fabulous jojoba oil is, it's great for skin. It's the closest match to our skin's natural sebum, helps the over-production of oil and feels great on the skin. 


So after the good results, I decided to get creative and mix my own facial oil. At first I was taken back by all the possible combinations, but to put it simply it's just a mixture of carrier oils and essential oils. I decided to use a mixture of jojoba oil, lavender oil and geranium oil. Both the essential oils are great all rounders, so I couldn't really go wrong with using them. 


You have to be careful with essential oils. They are strong and can possibly damage skin if applied undiluted. I use a dilution of 4 drops per 10ml, so 20 drops were used above. 


I had still to order a bottle for my oil here, so I used a glass jar. It's not the most hygienic solution - I'd recommend using a pipette or a bottle with a dropper attachment for your oil. It prevents waste and, more importantly, the oil becoming dirty. 

I love facial oil and it's so easy to use. Just massage a few drops into your face in the morning and let it sink in. If applying make-up, make sure to wipe away any excess oil with a tissue. 

Although they say that it should take a few weeks before your skin adjusts to new products, I noticed a difference in my skin right away. I have much less spots, and I'm now at the point (months later) where I'm sporting a clear face more days than not. 

PS. Keep up with me on instagram here.
1 comment on "DIY - Facial Oil"
  1. I love this. I have skin like yours and i've wanted to explore natural oils for my face, but i was always worried about making my skin worse.

    ReplyDelete