Cruelty Free? Here Are Some Products You May Have Missed

26 August 2016
Gin and Tonic in Gin71, Glasgow

I went cruelty free long before I changed my diet. Why? Because it's much easier. I understand how it can be hard for people to go vegan. Not all of us - especially young people living at home - have the privilege to go vegan.
This can be down to judgemental family, not having the money for your own food (or parents willing to pay), not being confident cooking your own meals, etc. Yet there are still many other areas in life we can make a change for the better. Even vegetarians/vegans may not realise what products they are buying that are not cruelty free, but luckily I've been researching into this so you don't have to.

Some of my cruelty free makeup collection

Make-Up

This was the first area of my life I made cruelty free. It may be hard giving up a beloved products, but it is so easy to find cruelty free dupes and there are so many budget friendly brands. My personal favourites are Lily Lolo, Honeypie MineralsBarefaced Beauty and Everyday Minerals. You also have e.l.f cosmetics, NYX, Kiko Cosmetics, Colourpop and many more. If you would rather stay in the "high" end you also have Too Faced, Urban Decay, Nars, Illamasqua. Trust me, there are many brilliant make up brands out there. With a quick google it is so easy to switch up your makeup products.

Some of my cruelty free beauty products

Beauty

Beauty products can be a little harder to switch as many people pick them up from drugstores or supermarkets that offer little to no cruelty free options. My favourite place for beauty is Lush, but it can get a little out of budget for some people. There are a few great budget options - their shampoo bars can last for months and are only £5 odd each! They also make solid conditioners for around the same price. Just make sure you apply them correctly - a quick google or visit to store will set you right. Their facial and body soaps also last for ages, and are well worth the buck.

If Lush isn't your thing, check out The Body Shop, Greenpeople or Faith in Nature for a range of beauty products. If you're feeling creative try DIY-ing some products to save cash (and your skin). Read more about DIY-ing products on my blog here.

My collection of Faber Castell Polychromos

Art Supplies

This is one I've just came across recently. Everything from your glue to your paper may have been tested on animals, or may contain animal derived ingredients. Luckily my favourite pencils - Faber Castell Polychromos, are safe. Apparently Faber-Castell haven't tested on animals in 22 years. Also Winstor and Newton have said they don't test on animals, and I found a list of their animal-free products here.

Gin and Tonic in Gin71, Glasgow

Drink

Yes, drinks! Not all are vegetarian. Did you know that many ciders and beers aren't cruelty free? Although they may not contain any animal ingredients, they are usually used in the fermentation process. Spirits - such as vodka, gin and whiskey - are usually free from this, but I try to double check now. I've also started trying alternative milks - such as oat and rice - with white russians (my favourite cocktail!). You can't be too careful!

My favourite shades of clothing to wear: pale blues and creams

Clothes

Yes, sadly clothes aren't always cruelty free. As if it's not bad enough that many companies have their clothes made abroad in workshops where the workers are treated horribly, many clothing brands test on animals too! I already try to avoid leather and fur, but even silk is a no-no. Silk, obviously from the silk worm, isn't always a cruelty free process. Now I didn't throw out my leather shoes and bags when I went vegetarian. but I wouldn't ever add to my collection now. It's so hard to be completely cruelty free with clothes as ethical brands are usually quite pricey. Unless you buy everything second hand you're kind of stuck. Hopefully it won't always be that way!

There's no doubt many things I've missed out, such as cleaning products. Unless you want to DIY your own stuff it can be pretty hard to find cruelty free cleaning products. Sadly it is extremely hard to go completely "cruelty free" as so many products can be traced back to causing some sort of human, animal or environmental harm. Every little swap can make a difference and the more people that start supporting cruelty free or vegetarian/vegan brands, the more in demand it will become. Sadly the world will never be perfect but it doesn't mean we can't do our bit!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin PS. Keep up with me on Instagram here.
Post Comment
Post a Comment