French Phrases to Learn for Au Pairs

22 April 2016

When most people decide to au pair somewhere, it's usually somewhere where they have little to no knowledge of the language. The whole point of au pairing is, for me, to completely immerse yourself in a different country and learn the local language. So it's fair to say that most au pairs will move abroad with initially little language skills.   

I moved to France with a basic knowledge of the language, although most of the words/phrases I've learnt through self-study haven't been used by me once. I can recite the French alphabet, count in French and name every colour on the rainbow. I can talk about food, animals, clothing, family and numerous other things. But could I explain to a four year old that he had to stop waking me up in the middle of the night? Could I let people know how I was feeling? Could I shout the kids down for dinner? No, when I first arrived here, I could not.

So, seeing as France is a particularly popular destination for au pairs, I decided to put a quick list of phrases together that have came in useful for watching children. These are phrases I already knew (but hadn't properly used) or picked up in the first few days of being here. I use everything on this list several time a day, and so do most others in the household. Please note that this list is for people who plan to au pair/stay with children. If you're not moving to France to do any of those things this list may not be as useful. So, as new au pairs are generally starting out fresh with the language, I'll start with the basics.


Oui et non - Yes and no

Basic, but essential. Luckily most people already know this in French.

Salut/Bonjour - Hello (informal/formal)

If you don't learn anything else, at least make sure you can greet someone. Another fun way to greet friends is "coucou".

Au revoir - Goodbye

If you learn hello you should learn goodbye.

S'il vous plaît? - Please

Manners cost nothing!

Merci beaucoup - Thank you very much

Sometimes a plain "thanks" isn't enough.

De rien - You're welcome 

A reply to "Thank You", although d'accord seems to be the most popular reply. Don't confuse this with bienvenue - a welcome greeting.

D'accord - Okay/Agreed

Most French people understand "okay", but it's nice to use the proper language. 

Pardon - Pardon/Sorry

Useful for when you're navigating the busy Paris metro.

Attention - Be careful/Pay attention 

I had no idea of the fiascos young children get themselves into. I'm constantly warning the young one to stay safe, and I've found myself using this one a lot.

Regarde - Look

I usually use this alongside attention when I'm trying to point out something potentially "dangerous". A car, a steep fall, a big tub of paint on the edge of a table... It's also nice if you want to point out the dead bird in the garden that the family pet killed so they can begin to organise it's burial and service.

Arrêtez - Stop/Stop that 

Ah yes, this one comes in useful. Children love to throw things around during tantrums. 

Bonjour, Bonsoir, Bonne Nuit - Good morning, Good evening, Goodnight 

I usually use bonne nuit as a way to say"go to bed" when I'm being woken up in the middle of the night for the third time. 

Manger - Eat

When meals are ready the family just tend to shout "manger". As I cook the meals it's an easy way for me to let others know it's ready until my vocabulary improves. It's also good for fussy children who need convincing to eat.

Avec moi - (come) With me

Usually used when playing with children (or yelling at them franticly to turn their bike around before they leave the quiet road).

Tres Bein! - Very Good! 

Make sure you know how to praise kids. Especially when they draw you pictures or learn how to ride a bike.

Je ne sais pas - I don't know

For when you do understand the children's questions and simply don't know the answer.

Pourquoi - Why 

"Why do you want in the cupboard? Why do you want my computer? Why are you in a huff? Why are you waking me up again at 4am?". You can see why this comes in handy with children.

Quoi - What

Children mumble. It's not the best for us newbies who are already struggling with a new language.

Je ne comprends pas - I don't understand

Although young children realise you don't speak their language, it won't stop them talking away to you as if you understand. This is a good thing as it helps you learn. What's not good is when there's no one else around and they're asking you to do something for them, and you can not decipher what they are asking at all. Whatever you do, don't say non in these situations! They'll go away upset and angry, and will let you know about it. Sometimes they were just looking for some chocolate or a teddy!

Je suis - I am

This is useful for when you start building up some French and want to start communicating: Je suis occupé /I am busy, Je suis fatigue/I am tired (the later is  great for explaining to the four year old why he can't have a fifth piggyback ride round the huge garden).

Just be aware that "je suis" isn't always the exact correct way to say "I am". Never say "Je suis chaude" when you are hot. It is understood as "I am horny". And yes, I have made that mistake. 

Comment allez-vous//Comment vas-tu/Comment Ã§a va - How are you?

Yes, that's a lot of ways to say the same thing. They are listed from most to least formal. I won't get into the difference between "vous" and "tu" here. Lets just say vous is respectful and should be used with elders/bosses/strangers etc. Tu should be used with children/young people/people at "your level". "Comment Ã§a va" can be used with family/friends. Don't know what one to use? Go with "vous".

So that's my most commonly used phrases when living with a family and minding children. I know every family is different, but I use these all often on a daily basis and I think it would be useful for other au pairs who are moving to France. I am in no way an expert in French, so if I have made any mistakes I apologise and would love if they could be pointed out and corrected.
Post Comment
Post a Comment